Thursday, August 6, 2015

Grunge


Have you ever wanted to wear something but afraid of looking awkward or weird? I have always wanted to style a "grunge" look.



Now, what is grunge style? Grunge fashion at it's height came out of financial hardship and a growth of new alternative rock. Typically the style combines elements of punk mixed with working class clothes that are inexpensive, such as jeans and plaid patterns. This grunge style also brought back ripped and shredded clothing that was popular in the 80's. Today it is a well known fashion trend. 









The Elements: 
Plaid flannel shirt 
This plaid piece is one of the most recognizable element of Grunge fashion. It is popular because it is available in so many different colors and affordable. Often time you'll find a plaid shirt or sweater tied around the waist if it is not worn.   

Jeans
Jeans are another essential. Most of the time jeans should be well worn, with rips or holes. Looking over worn is the idea! I paired my look with ripped boyfriend jeans. Not extremely over-worn yet, but it's faded ness and rips give off that feel. 

Footwear
Grunge usually consist of worn out shoes (e.g. high tops, Dr. Martens, combat boots). The more worn out they look the more grunge they are. For my look I kept it cleaned. I wore my black Breckelle cutout ankle boots. 

Hair and accessories
Jewelry has no real place. If so, just something simple. As seen, I wore a plain gold chain necklace with some bangles that coordinated with the gold. 
Hair is usually worn messy. And when I say messy, it can go beyond just hair that looked like it has not been brushed and cleaned. Could be bleached, grown out color dye--anything that makes it look unkempt. 
Make up is commonly heavy and dark with a smudged. 


In many outfits today it varies depending on the wearer. Like me for example, it is simple, as that's how I like to keep my outfits. Others like to mix and match, giving it a thrift store vibe or with lots of layering. 
I would wear this look for a night out, or just a casual wear for an outing, such as eating out, shopping, etc. maybe wear some hightop sneakers for a hip-hop vibe!


I hope you all find this post interesting and go out of your comfort to try different styles for yourself!! Even if it's just for a day. 


BIG SHOUT OUT TO MY PHOTOGRAPHER: Lee Thao
Check out his photography page and give him a thumbs up, or even schedule an appointment.

Write to you all soon! Thanks. 
Kimberly Lor




Brands I am wearing:
Top
Forever 21 (Flannel)
Rue 21 (crop top)
Bottom:
Mossimo (boyfriend jeans from Target)
Shoes:
Breckelle (cutout boots)

No comments:

Post a Comment